- Serves –
- Prep time: – mins
- Cook time: – mins
- Total time: – mins
- 250g cannelloni beans (soaked for 8hours)
- 150ml olive oil
- 500ml water
- 15g sage
- 15g thyme
- 1 bulb of garlic (split in half)
- 30g fennel tops
- Half a lemon (for finishing)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make:
- Tie your herb sprigs together, this keeps everything together and stops them being loose and getting bits in your beans. You can use string, elastic band or cling film works.
- In a pan add all of your ingredients apart from the lemon and the fennel tops. Bring your beans up to the boil and lower the heat to a medium heat. And leave to simmer nicely for around 3 and a half hours. This is when you want to add your fennel tops, leave some back for finishing though, so you get that green colour on the plate.
You are looking for the beans to be soft but still have their texture and hold their shape.
- Once done add your squeeze of lemon juice, the remaining fennel tops and season to taste. These also work very well with lamb or pork
Paired with Domaine de la Treballe Languedoc white, an aromatic, fruit forward blend with refreshing acidity and a slight richness. Order online at https://stjohnrestaurant.